The association between periodontal diseases and systemic conditions such as heart disease and stroke, and a higher risk of preterm low birth-weight babies, is garnering attention in the media. Similarly, recognition of the threats posed by periodontal diseases to patients with chronic diseases such as diabetes, respiratory diseases and osteoporosis is acknowledged.
The following are some links to recent stories and resources on these topics:
- Recent publications in PubMed.
- Colgate White Papers: Markers of Systemic Bacterial Exposure in Periodontal Disease and Cardiovascular Disease Risk: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
- MedlinePlus: Gum Care Helps Control Type 2 Diabetes and Its Complications , Gum Disease Might Boost Cancer Risk,
- American Academy of Periodontolgy: The Mouth/Body Connection
- National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse: Prevent diabetes problems: Keep your teeth and gums healthy
- American Heart Association: Good dental hygiene may help prevent heart infection
- American Dental Association: Periodontal Disease and Systemic Conditions ; Dentists discuss oral health at landmark meeting
- Center for Disease Control: Links between Oral and General Health