The 7th District Dental Hygienists Association of the State of New York, Rochester, Finger Lakes Region, has donated materials to the dentistry archives located in Bibby library at Eastman Dental. This endeavor will ensure that the group’s history will be preserved, digitized, and accessible to the public for scholarly use.
Of particular interest are a variety of awards given to local hygienists and Dr. David Lawrence, from the Dental Hygienists Association of the State of New York, and images and print materials announcing the donation, by Drs. Saroj and T.K. Viswanathan, for the renovation of the dental hygiene clinic at Monroe Community College.
The Bibby library dentistry archives contain materials pertaining to the practice of dental hygiene in Rochester, beginning with George Eastman’s founding of the School for Dental Hygiene in 1915, through the late 1960’s when the school was moved to Monroe Community College.
The collection, which includes yearbooks, course outlines and commencement materials, also has ephemera from the Alumnae Association of the Rochester School for Dental Hygienists, which was eventually renamed the Eastman Monroe Dental Hygiene Alumni Association.
The materials will be housed in a climate controlled room, digitized, and uploaded to IR Plus, the University’s institutional repository.