Bibby Library has preserved the history of Eastman Dental and dentistry in the Rochester New York area through its print and digital archive collections. The American Library Association has designated the week of April 24-30 as preservation week.
Here are a few interesting facts about Eastman Dental:
1. Eastman Dental has been providing oral health care services to the Rochester community since its opening in 1915.
2. Eastman Dental is also a training school for dentists who wish to become specialists. The school has been in operation since 1915.
3. Eastman Dental, originally named the Rochester Dental Dispensary, was the first institution in New York State to offer a training program for young women to become dental hygienists. Established in 1915, the School for Dental Hygiene was moved to Monroe Community College in 1964.
4. Founder George Eastman was so satisfied with his efforts that he went on to establish 5 other Eastman Dental clinics in countries throughout Europe.
5. The first director, Dr. Harvey Burkhart, served until he passed away at the age of 82, in 1946.