November 12, 2012
These smartphone and tablet apps will help you study for your dental boards. Good luck!
- Flashcard Study System for the CDA exam (39.99) test questions on the Certified Dental Assistant Examination.
- 1000 Dental Flashcards & Quiz ($1.99) Learn more than 1000 terms and concepts for the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) certification test to become a Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) or Certified Orthodonitic Assistant (COA).
DENTAL SCHOOL (DAT)
- DAT Dental Exam (.99) Practice exam to help dental professionals to prepare for the Dental Admission Test by the American Dental Association.
- Dentist Exam ($1.99) Dental Admission Test (DAT) is a multiple-choice standardized exam taken by potential dental school students in the United States and Canada
- Dentistry Review (3.99) study and memorize terms, words and definitions for the Dental Admission Test
Bibby Library has an extensive print collection of board study materials and also maintains a list of all dental related apps.
January 25, 2011
Are you looking for reliable drug information, fast? Here are some suggestions:
- If you are a URMC affiliate you have access to Micromedex, a clinical database that provides comprehensive drug summaries, drug comparisons, images for easier identification, and allows you to look up drug interactions. To access, select the Micromedex link on the Bibby library website. To use the database from your hand held phone, go to http://www.thomsonhc.com/micromedex2/librarian and log in with your URMC email credentials.
- DailyMed: a free website containing information on over 9000 drugs for health information providers and the public. Site is provided by the National Library of Medicine.
- MedlinePlus:learn about prescription drugs and over-the-counter medicines. Includes side effects, dosage, special precautions, and more. Also from the National Library of Medicine.
In addition to these electronic databases, Bibby library owns the following drug information books. They may be borrowed by URMC affiliates for two weeks.
- ADA/PDR Guide to Dental Therapeutics
- Applied pharmacology for the dental hygienist
- Drug information handbook for dentistry, Lexi-Comp
- Pharmacology and therapeutics for dentistry
Finally, if you use an iPhone or iTouch, check out these apps:
- FDA Drugs
- Little Dental Drug Book
- Skyscapte RxDrugs
November 3, 2010
5 things you should do right now with your iPhone or iTouch!
1. Get the mobile version of the Medical Center Libraries website – In Safari, search for Miner Library – our mobile page will load. To save to your home screen, locate the + sign on the bottom of the screen and select “Add to Home Screen”.
2.Get Blackboard – access your Blackboard courses right from your device. Download the free Blackboard app from the app store. Enter “University of Rochester” in the search box. Select from the list and follow the on screen instructions. Read more about the Blackboard app here.
3. Get UptoDate – evidence based information on medical and dental topics, available through the UR_MCwireless network or the UR_MCguest network. Go to http://mobile.uptodate.com, locate the + sign on the bottom of the screen and select “Add to Home Screen”.
4. Bookmark the American Dental Association’s Center for Evidence Based Dentistry site – systematic reviews, clinical recommendations and more. Go to http://ebd.ada.org/, locate the + sign on the bottom of the screen and select “Add to Home Screen”.
5. Join the medical center libraries mobile users wiki – share and discover more information on using mobile devices.
October 1, 2010
The Medical Library Association designates October as National Medical Librarians Month.
Aside from the occasional dish of candy, we don’t have much to give away; however, here is a sampling of the services and resources Bibby library can provide for you:
- Access to scholarly journal articles in dentistry, available in print and electronic formats
- Access to medical, pharmaceutical and bibliographic databases
- Access to a rich collection of books in dentistry, available in print and electronic format
- Instruction in using the latest technologies to retrieve, organize and synthesize information. This includes, but is not limited to Facebook, blogs, Twitter, iPhones, social bookmarking and more.
- Instruction in database search and retrieval, evidence based dentistry and library skills
- Access to, and instruction in using software to organize your references for storage and/or publication
- Comprehensive searches of the dental literature
- Suggestions and tools for keeping up-to-date
- Assistance in using Blackboard for course materials
- A look at the history of dentistry in Rochester
- A list of “librarian selected” internet resources in dentistry
- A place to study or collaborate with colleagues
- Computers, wireless access and a scanner
Is there anything else can we do for you?
May 20, 2010
The Medical Center libraries are excited to announce the release of their mobile website. The site, formatted especially for mobile browsers, provides quick access to the information you need.
To access the site, enter the following url in your device’s browser: http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/hslt/m/ . From there, you can bookmark us for return visits.
Also of interest is the release of UR Mobile, the University’s free application for mobile devices. To access, search your device’s application directory.
If you are a new or interested mobile device user, we encourage you to check out the URMC Mobile Users Wiki, a place to share and learn about using your mobile device.
Finally, dental professionals are encouraged to browse this list of dental applications, which is updated regularly.
April 1, 2010
Many of you who are taking the Head and Neck Anatomy course have been looking for resources to support your learning. Your instructor has provided a list of suggested books and many are available at Bibby library.
- The anatomical basis of dentistry / Bernard Liebgott. WU 101 L716a 2011
- Head and Neck Anatomy for Dental Medicine/Eric Baker. WE 17 H432 2010
- Textbook of head and neck anatomy / Hiatt, Gartner ;WE 705 H623t 2010
- Oral anatomy, histology and embryology / Berkovitz, Holland, Moxham WU 101 B5130 2009
- Color atlas & textbook of oral anatomy, histology, and embryology / Berkovitz, Holland, Moxham. WU 17 B513c 1992
- Clinical anatomy for dentistry / Longmore, McRae. WU 101 L856c 1985
In addition, you might find the following internet resources helpful:
If you have an iPhone or iTouch, there are several dental anatomy apps to download. Find a full listing of dental apps in an earlier post on this blog.
March 22, 2010
Join us on Friday March 26, 2010 from 12:00-1:00 in Miner Library for an informal session on using the IPhone or ITouch.
Learn about settings, navigation, email, calendars, icons, Safari – and more!
This program is free. No registration is required.