October 1, 2010
The Medical Library Association designates October as National Medical Librarians Month.
Aside from the occasional dish of candy, we don’t have much to give away; however, here is a sampling of the services and resources Bibby library can provide for you:
- Access to scholarly journal articles in dentistry, available in print and electronic formats
- Access to medical, pharmaceutical and bibliographic databases
- Access to a rich collection of books in dentistry, available in print and electronic format
- Instruction in using the latest technologies to retrieve, organize and synthesize information. This includes, but is not limited to Facebook, blogs, Twitter, iPhones, social bookmarking and more.
- Instruction in database search and retrieval, evidence based dentistry and library skills
- Access to, and instruction in using software to organize your references for storage and/or publication
- Comprehensive searches of the dental literature
- Suggestions and tools for keeping up-to-date
- Assistance in using Blackboard for course materials
- A look at the history of dentistry in Rochester
- A list of “librarian selected” internet resources in dentistry
- A place to study or collaborate with colleagues
- Computers, wireless access and a scanner
Is there anything else can we do for you?
October 5, 2009
How fitting that President Barack Obama declared the month of October to be National Information Literacy Awareness Month. Why? Because October has long been delegated to celebrate National Medical Librarians Month!
Obama calls for all Americans to effectively navigate the vast amounts of information available, in its many formats. He also points out the issue of authenticity and the need to effectively evaluate the information presented.
So how does one go about increasing their information literacy? Why not ask your librarian? Librarians are trained to:
- identify appropriate resources
- effectively navigate resources in all formats
- apply search techniques that will provide relevant results
- help you stay up-to-date in your field
- save you time
- inform and advise patrons of the latest information technologies
- evaluate resources for validity, applicability and authenticity
- provide information literacy training for our patrons
- and much much more
So, please take the time to consider your information needs and feel free to contact us to work with you.
Finally, in celebration of National Medical Librarians Month, we’ll try to keep our candy supply well stocked!
October 2, 2008
October gave a party;
The leaves by hundreds came;
The ashes, oaks, and maples,
And those of every name.
Source: George Cooper – Taken from World Book Millennium 2000
Hygienists, we have many information resources for you, including this handout.
Did you know that Bibby library has a collection of historical materials pertaining to the history of Eastman Dentistry in Rochester?
Have a medical or dental information need? Contact Us!
Visit the original dental dispensary, now the House of Pain.